By Georgina East – award-winning skin specialist at Harley Street Skin Transformation Clinic SKNfluence.
Winter’s chilly air can leave skin dry and dull. As spring blooms, it’s time to revamp your skincare routine to embrace the warmer days ahead. Here is a skincare guide to help revitalise your looks when transitioning from winter to spring.
1. Hydration is Key
Switch to lighter, water-based moisturisers. Look for ingredients like hyaluronic acid to lock in moisture without feeling heavy. Hydrating your skin effectively can be achieved both at home and at a salon. Here are some methods for each:
1. Moisturisers: Choose a moisturiser that suits your skin type—look for ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, or ceramides for intense hydration.
2. Humidifier: Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air in your home, especially during dry seasons, which helps prevent skin from becoming too dry.
3. Hydrating Masks: Apply hydrating face masks once or twice a week. Look for masks containing ingredients like aloe vera, honey, or oatmeal for extra moisture.
4. Hydration from Within: Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your skin hydrated from the inside out. Incorporate hydrating foods like watermelon, cucumber, and leafy greens into your diet.
At the Salon:
1. Hydrating Facials: like the SKNfluence facial. Schedule regular facials that specifically focus on hydration. These may include masks, serums, or treatments designed to deeply moisturise the skin.
2. Consider treatments like “The Ultimate SKN” (the new SKNfluence facial) which includes HydraFacial, a multi-step procedure that cleanses, exfoliates, extracts, and hydrates the skin using serums tailored to your skin’s needs.
3. Professional Products: Salons use professional-grade products that contain higher concentrations of hydrating ingredients compared to over-the-counter products.
4. Hydration Infusions: Some salons, like we do, offer treatments such as the SKNfluence where hydrating serums are infused into the skin using techniques like micro-needling or ultrasound for deeper penetration.
Remember, consistency is key to maintaining hydrated skin. Experiment with different methods to find what works best for your skin type and lifestyle, whether it’s incorporating home remedies or seeking professional salon treatments or both for maximum hydration.
2. Exfoliation for Renewal
Men can consider using a gentle exfoliating scrub to remove dead skin cells thus promoting a smoother complexion. Women can opt for chemical exfoliants like AHAs or BHAs to reveal fresh, radiant skin without abrasiveness. Exfoliating your skin helps remove dead cells, unclog pores, and reveal a fresher complexion. Here’s how you can exfoliate effectively both at home and in a salon:
1. Physical Exfoliants: Use gentle exfoliating scrubs with fine particles like sugar, salt, or jojoba beads. Massage onto damp skin in gentle circular motions, then rinse off.
2. Chemical Exfoliants: Consider using products containing alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) like glycolic acid or beta hydroxy acids (BHAs) like salicylic acid. These acids work to dissolve dead skin cells and can be found in toners, serums, or masks.
3. Exfoliating Tools: Use tools like exfoliating brushes or gentle facial cleansing devices to aid in removing dead skin cells. Be cautious with the pressure and frequency to avoid irritation.
4. DIY Masks: Create homemade masks using ingredients like yogurt, oatmeal, or mashed fruits with natural enzymes. Apply, leave on for a few minutes, then gently rinse off.
At the Salon:
1. Facial Treatments: Opt for professional facials such as SKNfluence that include exfoliation. Aestheticians often use professional-grade exfoliants and techniques customized for your skin type and concerns.
2. Microdermabrasion: This salon procedure involves using a device to exfoliate the outer layer of skin, revealing a smoother texture. It’s effective for addressing fine lines, acne scars, and uneven skin tone.
3. Chemical Peels: Salons offer various strength chemical peels (light, medium, or deep) to remove dead skin cells, improve texture, and address pigmentation concerns. These should be performed by trained professionals.
4. Dermaplaning: A skilled aesthetician uses a surgical scalpel to remove dead skin and fine hairs from your face, leaving your skin smoother and brighter.
When exfoliating, be mindful not to overdo it, as excessive exfoliation can lead to irritation and sensitivity. Tailor your exfoliation routine to your skin type and sensitivity level, and consider consulting a professional if you’re unsure about the best approach for your skin.
3. Sun Protection, Always
As the sun gains strength, apply sunscreen daily with SPF 30 or higher, shielding against harmful UV rays to prevent premature aging and skin damage. Wearing sunscreen during the transition from winter to spring is crucial for several reasons:
1. UV Rays Exist Year-Round: Even during winter, UV rays are present, albeit less intense. As spring arrives and the sun strengthens, UV exposure increases, making it essential to protect your skin.
2. Prevents Premature Aging: Sun exposure is a primary cause of premature aging, including wrinkles, fine lines, and sunspots. Wearing sunscreen helps shield your skin from these effects, maintaining a youthful appearance.
3. Reduces Skin Cancer Risk: Prolonged exposure to UV rays increases the risk of skin cancer. Consistent sunscreen use helps lower this risk by providing a barrier against harmful UV radiation.
4. Maintains Skin Health: Sun damage can lead to various skin issues, including dryness, redness, and sensitivity. Sunscreen acts as a protective layer, preserving your skin’s health and resilience.
5. Prevents Hyperpigmentation: Sun exposure can trigger or worsen hyperpigmentation, causing dark spots or patches on the skin. Regular sunscreen application helps prevent these pigment changes.
By wearing sunscreen, preferably SPF 30 or higher, you create a barrier that shields your skin from harmful UV rays, regardless of the season. Incorporating sunscreen into your daily skincare routine ensures consistent protection and helps maintain healthy, radiant skin.
4. Revitalize with Antioxidants
Incorporate antioxidant-rich serums or creams, such as vitamin C or E, to combat free radicals and rejuvenate skin. Antioxidant-rich serums or creams, containing vitamins C and E, are beneficial during the transition from winter to spring due to several reasons:
1. Combat Free Radicals: Winter weather and environmental stressors can increase the presence of free radicals, unstable molecules that damage skin cells. Antioxidants like vitamins C and E neutralize these free radicals, preventing oxidative stress and cellular damage.
2. Rejuvenate Skin: Antioxidants promote skin rejuvenation by supporting collagen production, which maintains skin elasticity and firmness. This aids in reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles that might have intensified during the dry winter months.
3. Protect Against Environmental Damage: As spring brings more exposure to UV rays and other environmental aggressors, antioxidants act as a defence mechanism, shielding the skin from potential damage caused by sun exposure and pollution.
4. Brighten and Even Skin Tone: Vitamin C, in particular, is known for its ability to brighten the complexion and fade dark spots or hyperpigmentation caused by sun exposure or dry winter conditions, leading to a more even skin tone.
5. Enhance Skin Barrier Function: Antioxidants help strengthen the skin barrier, aiding in moisture retention and preventing transepidermal water loss (TEWL), which is beneficial during seasonal transitions when skin may become more susceptible to dehydration.
Incorporating antioxidant-rich serums or creams into your skincare routine during the shift from winter to spring can help repair and protect your skin from environmental stressors while promoting a healthier, more radiant complexion.
5. Adjust Cleansing Techniques
Switch to a gentler cleanser to avoid stripping essential oils. Consider double cleansing to ensure a thorough yet gentle removal of impurities. Transitioning to a gentler cleanser and incorporating double cleansing during the shift from winter to spring offers several benefits for your skin:
1. Preservation of Natural Oils: Harsh winter weather often depletes the skin’s natural oils, leading to dryness and irritation. Using a milder cleanser helps retain these essential oils, preventing further dryness as the weather becomes milder in spring.
2. Gentle Removal of Impurities: Double cleansing involves using an oil-based cleanser to remove makeup, sunscreen, and excess sebum, followed by a water-based cleanser to effectively remove dirt and sweat. This thorough yet gentle process ensures a clean canvas without stripping away moisture.
3. Prevention of Breakouts: As the weather changes, the skin’s behaviour might also change. Double cleansing helps prevent clogged pores and breakouts by thoroughly removing impurities, especially considering the increased sweat and potential for more oil production in warmer weather.
4. Improved Absorption of Skincare Products: By cleansing the skin effectively, you create a clean surface that allows your serums, moisturisers, and other skincare products to penetrate better, maximizing their benefits.
5. Reduced Sensitivity: Harsh cleansers can exacerbate sensitivity, redness, or irritation, particularly when the skin is already stressed due to seasonal transitions. A gentler approach minimizes the risk of further irritation.
Switching to a milder cleanser and incorporating double cleansing helps maintain a healthy balance in your skin’s natural oils, ensures thorough cleansing without stripping essential moisture, and prepares your skin for better absorption of subsequent skincare products during the seasonal change from winter to spring.
6. Treat Your Lips and Hands
Don’t forget these often-neglected areas. Use lip balms with SPF and indulge in rich hand creams to keep them hydrated and protected.
7. Stay Hydrated from Within
Increase water intake and incorporate hydrating foods like watermelon, cucumber, and leafy greens into your diet for overall skin health. Staying hydrated from within during the transition from winter to spring is essential for overall health and skin hydration. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Increase Water Intake: Drink plenty of water throughout the day. While the weather might be milder in spring, hydration remains crucial, so aim for at least 8 glasses of water daily or more depending on your activity level.
2. Consume Hydrating Foods: Incorporate foods with high water content into your diet. Fruits like watermelon, oranges, strawberries, and vegetables such as cucumber, celery, and lettuce are excellent choices to keep you hydrated.
3. Herbal Teas and Infusions: Drink herbal teas or infusions that are hydrating and refreshing. Peppermint, chamomile, or green tea can provide hydration while offering additional health benefits.
4. Eat Balanced Meals: Include foods rich in electrolytes like potassium and magnesium, found in bananas, avocados, spinach, and sweet potatoes. These minerals help maintain proper hydration levels in your body.
5. Limit Dehydrating Beverages: Reduce consumption of dehydrating beverages like alcohol and excessive caffeine, as they can contribute to dehydration.
6. Monitor Hydration Levels: Pay attention to signs of dehydration such as dry mouth, dark urine, fatigue, or headaches. If you notice these symptoms, increase your water intake.
7. Set Hydration Reminders: Sometimes it’s easy to forget to drink enough water. Set reminders on your phone or keep a water bottle handy to ensure consistent hydration throughout the day.
By being mindful of your water intake, incorporating hydrating foods, and keeping an eye on signs of dehydration, you can effectively stay hydrated from within as the seasons transition from winter to spring.
Transitioning your skincare routine from winter to spring is essential for healthy, glowing skin. Remember, consistency is key to seeing results. Find what works best for your skin type and embrace the change of seasons with confidence.
And if you’re looking for more skincare insights, visit our website www.sknfluence.co.uk for personalised recommendations and expert advice!
About the expert
Georgina East is an award winning skin specialist with vast industry knowledge and experience. Georgina has been in the beauty industry for 20 years, working her way up from a job in a spa to owning her own wellness centre and bespoke private spa. In 2015, Georgina opened Grafton Spa and Wellness Ltd; it has gone on to win multiple awards including the Muddy Stilettos Awards 3 years in succession (for best spa in Northamptonshire) as well as winning best spa in the UK at the 2023 Prestige Awards.
Georgina also runs the Harley Street Skin Transformation Clinic SKNfluence which provides life-changing skincare. Find out more at sknfluence.co.uk and www.graftonspa.co.uk